This Social Media Policy applies to all online and mobile platforms for sharing content and information, whether controlled by Barella Cabins or hosted by others, on which members of the Barella Cabins community engage in discussions or activities relating to Barella Cabins.
The term “social media” refers to social networking services, blogs, short-message services, message boards, wikis, podcasts, image- and video-sharing sites, and other methods for real-time information sharing among users. Because this is a constantly evolving area, this policy applies to all new social media platforms whether or not they are specifically mentioned in this policy.
- Core values. In areas where this policy does not provide a direct answer for how members of our community should answer social-media questions, members should use their best judgment and take the most thoughtful and prudent action possible, bearing in mind Barella Cabins‘ need to preserve accountability for the use of its name in all social media and the core values of this policy:
• Be responsible – there are a variety of digital platforms available. Use the right medium for your message – a blog or social network might not be the right place for messages intended only for a small group, and email or other more targeted media might be best.
• Be responsible– social media are individual interactions, not official parish communications. Members of the Barella Cabins community are personally responsible for the content they publish. Official statements of Barella Cabins policy may only be made by the Owner/Manager of Barella Cabins or their designee.
• Be smart – a blog or community post is often visible to the entire world, and can be shared by others in ways that you cannot control. Remember that what you write is public, and will remain public for a very long time (perhaps permanently). Be respectful to our community.
• Be identified – authenticity and transparency are driving forces behind social media. Use real identities to the greatest extent possible rather than anonymous posts and comments.
• Respect the privacy of others – do not publish the personal information of others in the community without their permission or, in the case of children under 18, written permission of their parents. This is particularly important in a school community, in which some parents do not wish their children’s personal information and images to be shared online.
• Be respectful – Barella Cabins is a thoughtful community that encourages free expression and values civil debate. If you disagree with others, do so with civility. Respect your audience, express your views with appropriate language.
• Be trustworthy – respect the confidentiality of matters that are shared with you in confidence, or that are meant to be kept confidential by the nature of your work, contributions or voluntary efforts.
- Use of Official Name and Logo.Any use of the Barella Cabins name or logo for branding or titling pages, blogs, or other similar elements of social media must be approved in writing prior to use. Requests for prior consent to use such names or logos should be made to the Owner/Manager of Barella Cabins at firstname.lastname@example.org. Permission to use the name or logo of Barella Cabins may be revoked at any time in the sole discretion of Barella Cabins. This policy, however, should fully preserve free expression. It should not, for example, be interpreted to limit the ability of members of the Barella Cabins community from using the name of Barella Cabins to identify themselves in profiles, discuss matters relating to Barella Cabins, or other similar uses.
- Duties of Owners and Moderators. Moderators of official Barella Cabins social media are responsible for ensuring compliance with this policy. All comment and response areas should be moderated if possible and consistent with the goal of the forum. Leaders responsible for such areas should review and approve comments prior to posting, and should not post any comments that do not meet our standards for civility, misrepresent the position of the Barella Cabins, or that include profanity, defamatory language or speech that is otherwise inappropriate or off-topic. In an unmoderated forum, leaders should delete any comments or content that does not meet the standards of this policy as expeditiously as possible. Anonymous comments should be avoided except in circumstances where anonymous or pseudonymous speech is essential to the protection of the identities of the vulnerable. All moderation functions should reserve the right to ban repeat offenders. Moderators who permit users to post materials such as documents or photographs should make clear to users that the site will not archive those materials or be responsible for preserving them.
- Individual Judgment. Even when engaging in social media for personal use, the comments of a member of the Barella Cabins community may be viewed as a reflection on Barella Cabins. Users should use their best judgment when engaging in social media activities and should be on guard against actions and discussions that could harm the interests of our community.
- Transparency. Users’ social media communications are made in their personal capacity and not on behalf of Barella Cabins. Statements made by members of the Barella Cabins community should not be taken as expressing the formal position of Barella Cabins unless the speaker is specifically authorised to do so by the Owner/Manager of Barella Cabins or their authorised designee.
- Copyright Laws.Users must comply fully with copyright law when posting and uploading materials. Any posting of materials to official Barella Cabins social media must be limited to materials in which the copyright is owned by the party seeking to post the information, or in which the owner has consented to the sharing of the materials. Images and other materials from the Barella Cabins websites shall not be copied and uploaded to other forums without the prior written consent of the Owner/Manager of Barella Cabins. This policy should not be construed to limit discussion of matters using the Barella Cabins name, and it should not be interpreted to limit users’ ability to link to Barella Cabins sites.
- Children. Any site operated by Barella Cabins that is directed toward youth between the ages of 16 and 18 should be designed to limit access to authorised members, and leaders of such sites should take steps to ensure that unauthorised users will not have access to the site (by use of password protection or similar methods, if available). Registration for such a site must require the use of a legal name and valid contact information, such as an operational email address. Users of such a site may not post images of children under 18 without the prior consent of a parent or legal guardian of any minor depicted.
- If You See It, Say It.Any use of social media that does not comply with this policy should be brought to the attention of the Owner/Manager of Barella Cabins immediately at email@example.com.
- Questions and Updates. Questions concerning the policy should be directed to the Owner/Manager of Barella Cabins at firstname.lastname@example.org
- This policy may be updated and modified at any time. Users will be apprised of changes in this policy by our posting this policy on the Barella Cabins website at barellacabins.com.au.
This policy (version 1.0) was last updated on 6th September 2018 and may be reviewed from time to time.